- first aid
- nounemergency care given before regular medical aid can be obtained (Freq. 1)
* * *noun: emergency and sometimes makeshift treatment given to someone (as a victim of an accident) requiring immediate attention where regular medical or surgical care is not available
* * *emergency aid or treatment given to someone injured, suddenly ill, etc., before regular medical services arrive or can be reached.[1880-85]
* * *first aid nounImmediate treatment of a wounded or sick person before full medical attention• • •Main Entry: ↑first
* * *first aid UK US noun [uncountable]basic medical treatment given as soon as someone is injured or becomes illThesaurus: medical and health treatmentshyponym
* * *first aid,emergency treatment given to a person who is injured or suddenly ill before a doctor comes.first-aid «FURST AYD», adjective.of or for first aid: »
a first-aid kit.
* * *n. help given to a sick or injured person until full medical treatment is available
an expert in emergency first aid | [as adj.] a first-aid kitDerivatives:first aider ['ādər] n.
* * *noun [noncount]: emergency treatment given to a sick or injured person
She gave him first aid for his sprained ankle.◇ A first aid kit is a set of materials and tools used for giving first aid.
* * *simple medical treatment that is given to sb before a doctor comes or before the person can be taken to a hospital
to give first aid
a first-aid courseExample Bank:
At least one member of staff should be trained in first aid.
While one of you gives first aid, the other should call an ambulance.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
first-aid — first aid·er; … English syllables
first-aid — first aid, emergency treatment given to a person who is injured or suddenly ill before a doctor comes. first aid «FURST AYD», adjective. of or for first aid: »a first aid kit … Useful english dictionary
first aid — first′ aid′ n. treatment given before regular medical services can be obtained • Etymology: 1880–85 first′ aid′, adj. first′ aid′er, n … From formal English to slang
first aid — first aid, adj. first aider, n. emergency aid or treatment given to someone injured, suddenly ill, etc., before regular medical services arrive or can be reached. [1880 85] * * * … Universalium
first aid — n [U] simple medical treatment that is given as soon as possible to someone who is injured or who suddenly becomes ill ▪ Being given first aid at the scene of the accident probably saved his life … Dictionary of contemporary English
first aid — emergency treatment for injury or sudden illness, before regular medical care is available first aid [fʉrst′ād′] adj … English World dictionary
first aid — noun uncount basic medical treatment given as soon as someone is injured or becomes sick … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
first aid — ► NOUN ▪ help given to a sick or injured person until full medical treatment is available … English terms dictionary
First aid — This article is about the provision of immediate care. For the Transformers character, see First Aid (Transformers) … Wikipedia
first aid — noun ADJECTIVE ▪ emergency VERB + FIRST AID ▪ administer, give ▪ While one of you gives first aid, the other should call an ambulance. ▪ receive (BrE) … Collocations dictionary